[plug] User control of Browsers [WAS Open source DVD playback]

navarre at plug.linux.org.au navarre at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Oct 30 13:59:00 WST 2001

Hello All

Just catching up on an old thread of discussion and what comes to mind is
also the way we the users of graphical web browsers are at the mercy of
the web content providers and at time totally loose control, sometimes to
the point of runaway of memory and CPU time, by simply visiting a web
site or clicking a button.

My discussion is from the point of re-gaining control of what our browser
is allowed to do when a link is clicked on. Let me say this another way,
I use Netscape 4.7 on Linux, I have some control of my browsing
environment in fonts, colours and the automatic download and display of
graphics.

But what we can not control is the ability of a chunk of javascript
opening as many windows of any size on within our window manager. The
loss of control of the right mouse button within the browser. And a
number of other items I would like to control.

This is not a comment about the people who write this sort of web site
because we could also whinge at the sites that do not support Netscape
browsers or will not show you any content unless the %##& cookies are
turned off. (No Bret this is not time to raise that subject again, it has
been done to death).

Matt told me of a new browser recently, name escapes me, but what I did
not ask was does it give some of this control back to the user. Do the
writers of these web browsers consider that there could/ should be some
controllable limit of the number of child windows sporned from one
browser or the user should be able to stop the child window from opening.
We should also be able to stop the browser from fetching images and other
content from the internet if we say stop downloading a page generally we
really me Do Not Get Any More Bytes from the server. And stop the timers.

I know I may have rambled a bit but my web browsing pleasure is being
eroded by clever programmers and uncontrolable software.

Your comments please.

Regards Navarre at plug.linux.org.au

On 10/11/01, 8:04:39 PM, alan howard <alanh at wn.com.au> wrote regarding Re:
[plug] Open source DVD playback:

>  with regard to christian and gregs response, i do happen to agree, but
> unfortunatly this erosion of consumers freedoms and rights is happenning
> everywhere. we do not live in a free world, nearly every thing is
controlled
> , to some extent, and all to frequently for money. ( and its getting
worse)