[plug] User control of Browsers [WAS Open source DVD playback]

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 14:05:23 WST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:59:00AM +0000, navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:
> My discussion is from the point of re-gaining control of what our browser
> is allowed to do when a link is clicked on. Let me say this another way,
> I use Netscape 4.7 on Linux, I have some control of my browsing
> environment in fonts, colours and the automatic download and display of
> graphics.
> But what we can not control is the ability of a chunk of javascript
> opening as many windows of any size on within our window manager. The
> loss of control of the right mouse button within the browser. And a
> number of other items I would like to control.

I think if you try other browsers you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Mozilla and Konqueror give you far more control over which sites can set
cookies and run Java/JavaScript.  Mozilla also allows you to configure
sites that can load images.  Konqueror allows you to limit the use of
JavaScript to open up pop-up windows.  You can deny this, allow this or
get the browser to prompt.  It even allows you to configure the
user-agent the browser specifies when visiting other web sites in case
they try to deny you if you aren't using a certain browser...  This can
be set globally as well as specifying a specific user-agent for specific
sites.  Konqueror also has an excellent SSL manager and it is definitely
now my browser of choice.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C