[plug] diagnosing dialup problems

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 30 21:22:44 WST 2001

sol wrote:

>   I'm frequently losing my connection to the internet and having to
> redial. I'm not sure what the problem is - my modem, browser, the ISP,
> the line??? - but before I can do anything about it I need to know what
> the problem is. Can anyone suggest a utility that would help diagnose
> the problem?

Off-topic for this list, but if you want to test out the quality of the
line then you can do the MOLDS test.  This is a free call which you can
make using minicom.  Use 1800 637 254 as the phone number.  Your modem
will connect and perform a diagnostic test.  The test will be completed
after ten minutes, and you can telephone Telstra's testing staff on 1100
to discuss what problems the test revealed (if any).

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)