[plug] diagnosing dialup problems

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Tue Oct 30 21:33:27 WST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> sol wrote:
> >
> >   I'm frequently losing my connection to the internet and having to
> > redial. I'm not sure what the problem is - my modem, browser, the ISP,
> > the line??? - but before I can do anything about it I need to know what
> > the problem is. Can anyone suggest a utility that would help diagnose
> > the problem?
>
> Off-topic for this list, but if you want to test out the quality of the
> line then you can do the MOLDS test.  This is a free call which you can
> make using minicom.  Use 1800 637 254 as the phone number.  Your modem
> will connect and perform a diagnostic test.  The test will be completed
> after ten minutes, and you can telephone Telstra's testing staff on 1100
> to discuss what problems the test revealed (if any).

This might have changed only recently, but it appears that the MOLDS test
can only be done if you're already rung up and reported a fault. They then
authorise your phone number on MOLDS and you can go away and ring the
number all you like for 2 weeks.

First step I'd take it to 'check the obvious' - phone cable looks okay,
dialing scripts etc work, etc. Try a different modem, if you have one.

Next, I'd ring the ISP. Ask if they know why you might be being dropped
off; They could be having problems with their killer daemon, for example.

Take a dim view of ISPs who immediately say, "Must be [Telstra/your phone
line/your modem]" without first doing at least some checks or going
through some preliminary troubleshooting with you.

If working with your ISP has no results, then lodge a fault with Telstra.
(1100 used to be the old, easy-to-remember number, but I think faults is
now something like 13 22 03, just to totally confuse people).

Apon lodging a fault, tell the faults person what problems you've been
having, and let them know what you've done to try to work it out (talked
to the ISP, tried different modems etc). Usually, the faults operator will
say that you'll get rung back by a tester who will do the above-mentioned
MOLDS test with you on the line. They then can analyse the report and
perhaps work out what's wrong.

BTW, out of the list of possible causes you gave there, I can positively
rule out 'browser'. Under linux, the browser has no business messing with
the computer's network settings. With other operating systems, your
results may vary...

--
Gavin Rogers                    |    Amateur radio station VK6HGR
grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au    |    http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/