[plug] diagnosing dialup problems

Benjamin J Keith bjkeith at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 30 23:04:04 WST 2001

I usually get paid for this :)

1.  Ensure all the connections between your modem/phone line/computer are
    ok
2.  Check that call waiting is turned off
3.  Disconnect all other devices from the same line line (ie fax machines,
    answering machines, old phones etc)
4.  Try slowing down the speed your modem connects with
5.  Try typing "hdparm -u1 -k1" at a command line prompt, be warned though
    this may do nasty things to your drive, read the hdparm docs carefully
    first.  My weak grasp of what this does is helps balance the speed of
    writing of the hard drive with the speed of info coming through the
    serial port (any elaborations??)
6.  If possible plug the modem into another serial port (assuming it's a
    serial modem of course) on the same machine
7.  Try another modem, if necessary repeat the above *grin*

8.  Do the phone line test through Telstra (as described in other replies)
9.  Call your ISP and very carefully outline the steps you have taken, ask
    if there may be any extra info they can give you (ie the reason the
    disconnections occur as given in *their* logs
10. Get a mate with a known to be stable machine and modem to bring their
    equipment to your place and see how it goes on your line (or
    conversely take your stuff to their place)

If all that fails to at least isolate the problem, then I'm out of answers
:(

kudos must go to kimbotha for teaching me most of the above :)

hope this helps

Ben