[plug] Minimal Linux gateway - TCP over RS232 ?

navarre at plug.linux.org.au navarre at plug.linux.org.au
Sun Sep 2 23:09:02 WST 2001

Hello Cast

interesting time for this question to be asked as I also wanted the
answer, well I think I have found it. Take a look at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/x169.html

I have not as yet tried it but I will be testing this over the next week
of so as I have two Winblows98 to connect to my gateway server. I will
keep you good people informed as to the degree of happiness I encounter
by me and the other connected machines.

Navarre

PS. G'day Mike we last crossed paths at Nova Machinery all those years
ago.

On 8/31/01, 7:02:25 AM, Mike <erazmus at iinet.net.au> wrote regarding [plug]
Minimal Linux gateway - TCP over RS232 ?:

> Hi all,  (Cough - as its so quiet ;)

> For a couple of independent users in a household and where both machines
> have limited IRQ's (old ISA machines where both have other peripherals
> and not network cards) is the following feasible under Linux ?

> a.    Gateway machine (third machine) which is:-
>       Cheap 486/133MHz with 32M ram, 2Gig HDD, no VGA card
>       and 4 serial ports (16550 comp) and with appropriate
>       s/w for email backup, web proxy where:-
>       port 1  - connects to net via 56K modem
>       port 2  - console port VT-100 compatable terminal (rare use)
>       port 3  - connects to Machine A for user A at 115K baud
>       port 4  - connects to Machine B for user B at 115K baud

> b.    Machine A/User A
>       Windows 95 machine with at least one serial port
>       with 16550 compatible UART operating at 115K baud.

> c.    Machine B/User B
>       Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 machine with at least
>       one serial port with 16550 compatible UART at 115K baud.

> I'm exploring this as both machine A and B lack spare ints
> for the use of network cards :( and in any case web/email
> browser cache in any case)... (Could go to 56K for A/B if
> 115K not that good). There is no need at present to link
> Machine A and B together directly - but since there would/could
> be a TCP link - could this be done easily through the
> gateway machine for things like running games and (slowly!)
> sharing data - ie Browse each others drives etc

> In essence, can links between machines (over 10-15 metres) be
> reliable enough using RS232 at 56K/115K - ie TCP over RS232 type
> links and can it be implemented without serious grief. Could
> either A or B make the gateway machine connect to net on demand
> basis ?

> PS: Anyone got any 125/85VR16 and 125/90VR16 twin tyres, new or s/h ?

> PPS: Anyone who knows Paul Repacholi who might like to visit him
> in RPH where he is recoving from a minor stroke...

> Kind Regards  ~`:o)

> Mike Massen
> Network Power Systems
> Perth, Western Australia  Ph/Fx +61 8 9444 8961

> Power system in Jungle, Twin tyre car, Differential gauge
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~erazmus/index.html

> Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it
becomes
> academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all
that
> theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of
magic.