[plug] billion (was Unix Epoch: 1 billion seconds breakfast function.)

Bob Ogden bob at contact.omen.com.au
Mon Sep 3 12:08:26 WST 2001

In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0109031246010.16974-100000 at opera.iinet.net.au>, on
03/Sep/2001
   at 12:47 PM,((WST) GMT)
Andrew Francis <locust at iinet.net.au> said:

>On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Clinton Butler wrote:
>> Epoch is measured in the American ways.. and that's that! Our standard for
>> Billion is 10^12 (Million Million)

>Can you supply a reference for that? Dictionary definitions appear to be
>in dispute.

The difinitive answer to that is probably [1] in the  Standards Australia
publication AS ISO 1000-1998 The international system of units (SI) and
its application. Retail  $44.88 hardcopy $40.39 PDF
ISBN: 0-7337-0224-4
http://www.standards.com.au/catalogue/script/Details.asp?DocN=stds000022866

's good eh, how they charge an arm and a leg to buy info on the standards
your are supposed to comply with
(http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_act/wamsa1960383/index.html )

[1] not having one to hand I can't check but I'm pretty sure that's the
one you want. --
/-- Bob Ogden  bob at contact.omen.com.au --------------/
/  ---... -....- -.--.-                   Finger  for PGP key -----/
Only 31535687896 seconds till the _next_ millennium!