[plug] USB cd writers

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Sep 3 15:54:20 WST 2001

G'day all,

In case anyone is looking at same in the near future..

I have done some tests on both the IOMEGA ZipCD 650 USB
and Kodak 4832e USB writer under kernel 2.4.9..
Both function well, the IOMEGA is lighter and more expensive
while the Kodak is heavier (much) and about $60 cheaper..
The IOMEGA is a 4x 4x 4x while the Kodak is a 4x 4x 8x..
The Kodak also has a more compatible interface and is really
a TEAC CD-W54E with an Onspec IDE-USB converter built in..

The IOMEGA causes some funny scsi resets sometimes and is
generally slower to respond.
I bought the Kodak..

Looked around the computer stores on Sat for one that had these
in stock..

Asked about return policies so I could take it home and try it out
with Linux..

One of perths largest computer retailers, who admit they have no
idea about linux, and are not particulary interested in it anyway,
have lost a customer because of the crap response and service I
recieved on Saturday.

Abacus in Osborne Park, however, were unsure of it's linux compatibility
but were willing to sell it to me on the condition I brought it back
same day if it did not work with Linux.. (Nice service and staff too)

I gave them a courtesy call to inform them it worked flawlessly
with linux, and they noted that for future reference..

The Kodak was $399..

--
Brad....
                   /"\