[plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Sep 4 11:31:53 WST 2001

Here we go again; but this is simple.

>From my understanding, the timestamps in message headers are just ASCII text
strings, so as to be receiving OS platform independent, and, therefore, if kmail
1.0.29 is used to receive emails, it should not stuff up the incoming message
timestamps, when the gigasecond bug takes effect. Is that correct?

Thus, if that version of kmail is used to receive messages, and, another mail
client (eg, star office, netscape, etc) is used to send messages, the
gigasecond bug problem should not have any effect, should it? (I have star
office 5.2, and netscape 4.61, as the latest version of netscape that I found to
be stable with rh6.2)

I have had no response from either red hat or kde about the problems with the
bug and with the apparent current version of kde, which would, I understand, be
required, to overcome the gigasecond problem, and, compiling kde on RH6.2,
appears too difficult for me, from my limited understanding of things, and,
from what I had read about the kde problems with rh6.2. So, I am seeking an
easy solution.

Bret Busby