[plug] kernel upgrade using rpm?

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Sep 4 14:04:35 WST 2001

Craig,

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 13:40, Craig Dyke wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am not sure as to the best method to use for upgrading my kernel.
> I am currently running 2.4.0 and would like to get the latest so as to
> perhaps aid me with some other problems I am having. In the past
> I would get the binaries and compile them myself.
>
> My quetsion is should I stick with this method or perhaps use rpm
> packages?
>
> If so, are there any inherent problems faced when using the rpm way?

I've always preferred grabbing a tarball from ftp://www.kernel.org,
configuring the kernel according to my needs at the time and compiling it
myself.

The general gotchas I can forsee with an RPM kernel upgrade are:

- check that the RPM you get matches the distro you're upgrading and the
processor of your machine
- out of the box, the kernel config will be pretty general and you'll also
need the kernel source, headers, docs and utilities RPMs if you want to tweak
it later.

Regards,
Steve