[plug] billion (was Unix Epoch: 1 billion seconds breakfast function.)

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 5 12:26:38 WST 2001

Hello, Each!

Interesting arguments.  I say, "Thank God for the French, 10x10x10x10 and
the S.I.units system!"  Otherwise we would still be trying to convert
between inches, feet, yards, chains, roods, acres - not to mention farthings
and pounds ....and the rest!

But it is all academic because the Americans are not likely to convert from
their brand of Imperial Units to S.I.  So, I will take bets that one day
some idiot - a paid yank goon - will stand up in Parliament and suggest that
we convert to the American Imperial system.

Ooops, sorry about the emotion.

By the way...  A thousand million is a billion in this country, ie 10^9.
Ooops again.