[plug] aRts KDE 2.2 and Full Duplex operation

Arkem arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Thu Sep 6 16:03:51 WST 2001

aRts (sound server used by KDE 2.x) has been giving me some wierd
results recently. As I run the server with full duplex operation the
server uses all available cpu time and sometimes crashes but it acts
fine without it on. This isn't a vital problem, I can live without
full duplex for the moment but I was wondering if anyone had come
across this problem or found a solution.

I did a search in google for solutions and all I found out is that in
full duplex mode aRts doesn't suspend itself also there are reports
of similar problems on kde bugs forum/ml archive but I can't access
bugs.kde.org at the moment and the only ones archived elsewhere seem
to be older versions of KDE.

Some background information: I'm running Debian Woody using OSS for
sound and KDE 2.2 release version. The PC running KDE is a solid P3
700 so I can pretty safely assume that the excessive use of cpu time
and crashing is not due to my system specs.

Anyone got any comments or can offer any advice?

Regards
Paul C