[plug] en_GB KDE "trash can"

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 7 09:31:12 WST 2001

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, John Knight wrote:
>
> > He did ask that we change "Trash Can" to something along the lines of
> > "Rubbish Bin" or something of similar ilk.
>
> I vote for "bit bucket", but ANYTHING is better than "Recycling Can"
> <cringe>. I notice gnome lets you edit it to whatever.

"Recycling can" sounds like something used in a portable toilet.
:)

> > I replied that we left it in simply as we viewed it as PC term like "cookie"
>
> "Cookie" is named after. "Trash can" is a metaphor. Different thing.
>
> By the way, whats with "en_GB"? Surely language variants should be named
> after countries, rather than geographical regions, ie "en_UK". Or does
> Northern Ireland have its own version of english in KDE? Could you please
> change the name :)

en_GB is used by many applications; Netscape included. Obviously., most of the
world (that is involved in software development) agrees that Nothern Ireland
belongs to the Irish, and, not to the English.

Instead of the en_GB/en_UK variants, why not simply have English to indicate
the English English, USA to indicate the language spoken there, Aus to indicate
the language spoken here (Strine), etc? Simple.

Perhaps, instead of "recycling can", for Aus language standard, "dunny bin"
could be used?
:)

Bret Busby