[plug] Pron blocker

Jason Jordan jas at pcguru.com.au
Sun Sep 9 12:19:39 WST 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:04:43 +0800 (WST), Jonathon Bates wrote:

JB> Im currently setting up some proxy servers for some schools around perth,
JB> and I am looking at a squid addon or something similar that blocks any
JB> dubious sites. And it needs to be kept upto date at least weekly.

I looked at quite a few options, but none of them gave what was needed.

The best solution I found was to "trust but monitor".

Instead of wasting time trying to decided if "breast" was in the context of "breast
cancer".  Or whether "www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk" should be allowed, I coded
some perl script that simply grepped through the daily logs for inappropriate key
words and let a real person make the call.  I created a list of sites that could
be excluded from the pattern match... such as www.virginairlines.com.au and
*.gov.au and so on.

This works brilliantly for adults but may not work at all for kids who don't
really care if they get punished.

This probably isn't much help for schools, but certainly if any of the rest of
you are considering proxy filters - this is a much better solution.

Make sure everyone knows thorough monitoring occurs and will be
followed up on.  Let them make their own decisions and pay the
consequences.

Of course - this massively reduces the management overhead and results in
far less complaints from people who find sites that have been filtered out
inappropriately.

Trust but monitor - and make sure you always follow up.

jas.
btw - I thought iiNet offered a filtered proxy for kids?