[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Mon Sep 10 09:42:30 WST 2001

Brett,

I have a Cyrix p233 with 32 Mb RAM as a e-smith gateway.

It was a Smoothwall gateway with 16Mb RAM.

Only reason I upgraded it was to have a look at e-smith, and that 32Mb was
recomended. Cost me $20 for 2 x 8Mb simms at the computer swap meet on
Cambridge St one Sunday.

For interest, I'm thinking of going back to Smoothwall as e-smith doesn't
seem to have built in traffic reporting, and I don't need the other
capabilities of e-smith.

I know that a gateway come firewall is not a huge demand on computer power,
but it does show that recent distributions do run on a Cyrix, and with modest
ram.

If you have 64 Mb ram, use Opera instead of Netscape and a modest GUI, you'll
be fine on RH7.1

Hope you can understand that bitching about bugs, security issues and
newer-bigger-slower distributions on a false premise is getting a little
tiring to listen to.

Garry.

As per Redhat running on 16 Mb RAM I don't use Redhat so if