[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Sep 10 13:56:26 WST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 01:25:45PM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> Can't speak for other but I can tell you about pine.
>
> Attachments no problesm at all.
> _correctly_ sent MIME multi-part messages fine.
> any attachment (includeing HTML) can be configured to have an external
> viewer, images = ee, html=mozilla etc etc

Mutt handles attachments in the same way.  It can also view any
attachment as plain text.

> pine rocks.  and it is still fast over a modem .... try running a remote
> X mail client over a 56k connection
>
> I have only heard good things about mutt, and I'm fairly confident in saying
> that everything I've said about pine is true for mutt.

With the additional feature that it can read and write Maildir folders,
as used by the qmail MTA. (Last time I looked getting pine to do this
required an unsupported source patch.) Maildir has no locking required
at all.  As many clients as you want can read and write the same folder.

That's handy as I leave mutt at work going continuously and then can
access the same mail from home.  One of the things I didn't like about
pine was the message that went something like "Another session is
accessing your mail, this session is now read-only", caused by the
requirement for folder locking when using mbox format.

Mutt is also very configurable for keystrokes (including macros),
colours and screen layout.  IMHO reckon mutt rocks more than pine.  But
both are good. :)

(And yes, I do realise that you can also do multiple client access with
IMAP and almost any MUA.)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
	(Something in Spanish that I deleted 'coz I had no idea if it
	 was offensive or not.)