[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Sep 10 14:23:42 WST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:16:59AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
[ snip - re: alternate Linux mail clients ]
> Pointers and comparisons would have been nice...

Writing _worthwhile_ comparisons between different programs that fit in a
particular niche (eg. email clients) can take a significant amount of time.
Especially if you are comparing a lot of programs - and there are a _lot_
of decent, free, Linux email clients available.

Typing "linux email clients" into Google got me this link as the top
result:

http://www.emailman.com/unix/clients.html

Have a look and evaluate the different options as best you can, narrow it
down to a few that you're willing to try, then try those and select the one
you dislike least.

> Bret Busby

Or at least that's the technique I use. :)

Pete.

PS. I recommend Mutt. It's been around for a long time, it's been stable
for a long time, it's very well documented, you will be easily able to
install and use it on older Linux distros, a lot of people on this list
(including me) use it. This is (of course) only a recommendation - I am not
saying other Linux mail clients do not have all of the above "features" -
and you are perfectly free to take it or leave it. :)
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Logic doesn't apply to the real world.