[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Steve Vertigan steven at vertigan.wattle.id.au
Mon Sep 10 17:03:50 WST 2001

Bret Busby wrote:

> And, from what I understand, the 6x86 uses th4 486 instruction set; I am
> not sure about its architecture. My chip is supposed to have been the
> equivalent of a pentium 150+, but was benchmarked by software here, as
> being the equivalent of a pentium 75 to 90.

Did it measure real world perfomance or was it unrealistically biased by
FPU performance?

> Anyway, as can be seen from the full header of this message, I now have
> to use Netscape 6.1, which is as slow as a dog without legs, and, I
> assume, like trying to run win2k on this computer; so, I would not like
> to try a version of Linux that is any more resource demanding,

You're kidding right?  In your efforts to avoid upgrading redhat you've
resorted to using a program who's *minimum* specs are a pentium 233 and
64MB RAM?  A program so hideously slow and bloated that not even *I*
would run it on my supercomputin' Pentium 200 or that my windows using
flatmate won't even run on his Pentium 1Ghz?  A program so infatuated
with apocalypse-causing html that it renders the entire fscking
interface in it?

I was going to mention that if you have a recent version of gnome you
can use galeon, a gnome front end that just uses mozilla for rendering
for more acceptable performance on slower machines and
Evolution/Balsa/Mahogany/etc for mail but you know what?  I give up.
Have a nice life Brett.

Steve
--
OpenBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org KLINK#1 i386
 4:55AM  up 14 days, 52 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.28, 0.15, 0.10