[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Sep 10 16:44:45 WST 2001

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>Christian wrote:
>>
>>>But I don't think this is what Bret was talking about.  He's worried
>>>that the apocalypse may come to his network and computer based upon him
>>>receiving HTML emails.
>>>
>>I forsee two problems with HTML in messages; the first, is malicious
>>code - either in the form pf a virus/worm or in an attempted "hack" -
>>someone trying to otherwise breach the security of a system,
>>

> So you think HTML pages are a security risk? Is that why you continually
> ask questions on this list to which you could far more easily and quickly
> find the answers on the web? That would explain a lot.
>
> Why do you trust your TCP/IP stack, your mailreader, or any of the other
> network software you use, but distrust your web browser?
>
> -Greg

No - it is not that I regard web pages as security risks (well, not all
of them, anyway) - it is that I regard emails that are wriiten in HTML
as suspicious.

In terms of the TCP/IP stack, the mailreader, etc, it is all relative,
and, I prefer to minimise risk, where I can.

What is wrong with plain text messages, anyway? When you talk to
someone, do you have to chant it, or cant it, or, to sing it? Can you
not just speak it? Why, then, can people not also just send plain ASCII
text messages? They are simple, less noise (less line noise) and, they
are safe.

Bret Busby