[plug] (OT) - Hardware - Motherboard and RAM

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Sep 16 16:31:10 WST 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, wayne wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:50:07 +0800
> From: wayne <hatari at iinet.net.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] (OT) - Hardware - Motherboard and RAM
>
> Bret,
>
> My understanding is that if you use PC133 MHz RAM on a FSB (front-side bus)
> of 100 MHz the RAM will operate but at only 100 MHz.  That is no big deal,
> and a good investment.  Since your existing RAM is 100 MHz - indicating an
> FSB of 100 MHz on your m/b - you should be OK to go with it.
>
> Having just gone through the process of buying a new m/b this is my
> understanding, but I am still keen to hear others knowledge too.
>
> Wayne

Now, to make this even more interesting, the AMD system above, is using
RAM rated at 8ns.

I have just had a look at my computer motherboard User's Manual, and, that
says that that motherboard (P5T30-B4E, with Intel 430TX chipset and Socket
7) will also take 2 x 168-pin DIMM's; 3.3 volt unbuffered SD-RAM or 3.3
volt EDO, with the DIMM chip sizes supported, going from 8 MB to 128 MB,
giving a total possible capacity of 256MB RAM.

That User's Manual states "SIMM/DIMM speed requirements: 70ns or 60ns".

Would my computer take the PC-133 128MB RAM chips (if so, I expect that
they would run considerably slower than 133 MHz, but, would be able to
give me heaps more usable RAM, massively cheaper than EDO RAM)?

Once again, thanks in anticipation.

Bret Busby