[plug] [meta] Netiquette discussion: kernel developers

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Sep 26 14:06:23 WST 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:09, Christian wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:01:31PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > Why can't I occasionally post something mildly off topic, but general
> > interest, AND FLAG IT AS OFF TOPIC, without having you on my case?

> "Mildly off topic"???  You mean completely and utterly unrelated, don't
> you?

Well, not utterly. They're one of the very few countries in the world that
*don't* have a kernel developer resident, and I'd like them to last long
enough to join our international community. (-:

> Why can't you?  Well, I think the fact that it's something that's
> controversial and that everyone's got an opinion about is a good start.

Uh, isn't that what discussion lists are for? Like, if we all agree on
something, why post about it?

> You may be posting just one message but it's a message
> that people are going to reply to with more off-topic postings, each
> more pointless and poorly informed than the last.

True, and maybe 90-95% of them complaining about the post, and about half of
those from BB and quoting the entire message TO THE LIST just to say ``I
don't like this.''

> If we're going to
> have irrational, emotive and poorly informed debate on this list, please
> let it be about Linux.

OK, what do you think about the kernel ATA driver ``stolen code'' issue?