[plug] wget on iinet's opera - linux 2.0.33

Paul Day bonfire at bur.st
Sun Sep 30 21:21:38 WST 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Mike wrote:

Firstly Mike, calm down before you have a stroke. Notice the smiley at the
end of this paragraph?

> > And traffic accounting to add each shell user's traffic to their
> > Explorer/Voyager traffic total? Bloody warez kiddies. There's this one
> > user, username erazmus, who's filled up /tmp on numerous occaisions. I
> > think he might read this list actually. ;)

That generally means that said party is joking about...

> Its dissapointing this very fact wasn't considered at all by you when
> you complained and tried to have cancellation of my shell account on
> opera.

Firstly, it was. The rest of us have learnt to live with it.

Secondly, if you're going to rant on about legal correctness and slander,
I suggest you get your own facts right Mike.

I emailed you once saying "Don't fill /tmp up, it stops the rest of us
from using certain things, eg reading news."

The second time you did I emailed you again. I also emailed support
suggesting they help you find a clue. On that note, in the past filling up
/tmp multiple times was more than enough to get your shell access killed.

> And even more dissapointing you ignore my email request to you
> to offer an alternative as /tmp's quota is so very small

Again, if you're going to rant and suggest you're about to sue me for
slander, get your facts right Mike.

I replied to your emails numerous times making suggestions on ways about
it, including wget (as this thread is discussing - about a year after I
suggested it to you?), downloading it directly to your PC (I seem to not
ave a problem) or basically not using lynx and filling up /tmp.

If you realy want, I'd be happy to dig into my archived outbox to find
these emails Mike.

> Therefore I shouldn't be surprised you risk slander and now

I would be. I'd be very surprised that a tounge-in-cheek comment to a
public forum in an attempt at humour would be considered slanderous.

> allow me legal recourse when you have made the above statement
> unsolicited, on a public forum, I just had to wait for that to
> occur.

I didn't realise you got so worked up about my email asking you to stop
filling /tmp. You've been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to sue
me Mike? Wow.

> It seems your temporary delight and satisfaction in finding

Delight? To draw the conclusion that one comment, jokingly mentioned
tounge-in-cheek in a public forum, makes me a sadistic basterd, is a bit
of a long shot Mike.

> need to make assertion and above suggestion (as quoted) has
> opened a legal avenue for consideration.

I very much doubt it Mike. If what I said was enough to be slanderous, I
could quite happily counter-sue because of your attack on my integrity by
your incorrect assertions made in this email, also qutoed.

I suggest you calm down and take a second look at the situation Mike. My
comments were harmless. If you posted regularly to mailing lists and
news-groups with this sort of attitude you'd have problably tried to sue a
small country of people by now.

If you'd like to continue this discusion, feel free to email me privately.
I'm sure the rest of the list doesn't want to hear it...

PD

--
Paul Day    Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire   PGP-key: www.bur.st/~bonfire/pk.txt