[plug] auto-login

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Apr 2 01:28:22 WST 2002

Plug,

I've seen the auto-login feature on Mandrake and would like to do
similar for my Debian machine. I don't particularly feel like doing
a Mandrake install just to figure out how they do it, so I'd be
delighted if somebody could guide me as to how Mandrake does it or
how I should do it?

I've tried a script in rc2.d along the lines of "su - bernard -c
startx" but it throws errors about user not being allowed to run the
X server.

I've tried making the script setuid and setgid to user "bernard" and
that almost works - only problem is that it still loads up under the
uid root (with a KDE session from /root/.kde)

How can I drop the privileges from a script to do something like
this? I figure I also need to get the environment setup right. Or am
I barking right up the wrong tree? I hath googled and come up bare
handed.

TIA,

Bernard.

--