[plug] auto-login

John Breen locutus at borg.apana.org.au
Tue Apr 2 06:50:33 WST 2002

Bernard,

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 01:28, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> Plug,
>
> I've seen the auto-login feature on Mandrake and would like to do
> similar for my Debian machine. I don't particularly feel like doing
> a Mandrake install just to figure out how they do it, so I'd be
> delighted if somebody could guide me as to how Mandrake does it or
> how I should do it?

It's actually so simple it's frightening :)

what display manager are you running?  If gdm, you can edit
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf  Right at the top of the file are two options

AutomaticLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLogin=

Change them in the obvious way, killall gdm and restart gdm, and you're
away!

HTH

Cheers,

JB