[plug] Just got Plugged

Mark Dixon mdixon at ecel.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 2 16:31:54 WST 2002

> > Can we close this issue now?
>
> No I don't think we can.  At least not until we have a directive from the
> committee or a consensus from the list as a whole about what is acceptable
> language.  There are few among us that wish to impose their moral standards
> upon the majority and censor what is written here.  Clearly, this is an issue
> that must be sorted out immediately or posters will forever be
> second-guessing about what word or phrase will deemed offensive by this,
> so-called, moral minority.

If the PLUG constitution, or a similar document for the mailing list, contains a "naughty words
addendum" then you can ask members to abide by it.  If there is not one of those then you either
take a majority vote to amend the constitution to outlaw those naughty words like root, plug,
floppy, and other obnoxious denizens of the dictionary; or you move on with an understanding that
all words in the dictionary are to be given equal rights.  I don't think Macquarie or Oxford will
help us much - they don't seem to pass moral judgement on any of the words in question, at least in
the edition I'm holding -they just offer a definition.

Cheers, Mark Dixon.