[plug] Just got Plugged

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Apr 2 17:12:58 WST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:02:55PM +0800, skribe wrote:
> Clearly, this is an issue
> that must be sorted out immediately or posters will forever be
> second-guessing about what word or phrase will deemed offensive by this,
> so-called, moral minority.

Or, those people that find certain words offensive could install some
procmail rules to **** them out.  If you don't know how, that's what
this list is here for.

Most of the people on this list (I believe) are in favour of free
speech.  It tends to go hand in hand with the concept of Open Source and
Free software.

I know that I don't like the idea of not being about to say certain
words, particularly those with completely unsmutty definitions within
the context of this list (root, mount, finger, fsck, etc).  I would
rather start a second list for those who just want to be able to
communicate in an open fashion.

To those that tend to be a little more free with their speech than
others: try to respect that some people are easily offended.  You're
more likely to get some help if you're friendly.  Try to remember that
there are people on this list who don't understand your age-group or
culture, but may very well have the answer to your question if you're
willing to communicate with them.

To those that are a little sensitive: try to remember that this list
covers a large demographic.  The readers of this list range from
adolecents to grandparents, and they all come from different
backgrounds.  What is offensive to you may be normal speech for them.
It's also possible you just don't understand something due to cultural
or age differences.  Take a few deep breaths before flaming.

On this list and in life in general, respect other people in both how
you act and how you react.

Except Windows users... you can be mean to Windows users  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | And the robot says: "In the begining
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | was man.  Man created all things.