[plug] Re: PLUG listing to port?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Apr 3 18:13:58 WST 2002

On Wednesday, 3 April 2002 07:43, skribe wrote:
> On Wed,  3 Apr 2002 02:00, wayne wrote:
>> And that comes down to professionalism - rather than morals.

> Except this is not a professional list.

Maybe PLUG should have one. It wouldn't be hard. It could be confined to
professional members and paid-extra-for-it ordinary members.

Ooops, that's triggered an Old War Story recall...

An early OO system called MACAVL (which is as much of Macchiavelli as would
fit into the six-letter task-name-space available at the time): one afternoon
the PHB chose to investigate the backend stuff, and discovered a virtual
memory spool file named CESSPOOL.DSK and a record definition file named
CRAPPY.REC*, then subsequently stumbled across a test program which had
started life as 1.C, then 2.C, 2A.C, 3.c, 4.C, SLIP.C, staggered across to
LIPS.C (it was actually a fragment of a LISP interpreter, but PHB never
discovered this) and then (when a particularly long debugging session proved
frustratingly ineffective) LABIA.C (apparently because the #$@% of a thing
wouldn't work, but I didn't ask) and worse... and a few other choicely named
files. PHB called a meeting and ranted for a fair while about us all having
``a more professional attitude''. The next day, he came in to find the files
renamed to PROFESSIO.DSK, PROFESSIO.REC, PROFESSIO.NDX and so on (ODS1 limits
you to 9.3 RAD50 filenames). AFAIK, they're still called that.

Cheers; Leon

* Actually, it wasn't CRAPPY.REC, although the last four alphas and
  the length are right. I kind of regard the PLUG list as `M' rated.