[plug] moving to Debian

Sacha Schlegel sacha at schlegel.li
Thu Apr 4 12:01:28 WST 2002

Hi Michael

>   Is there a better approach than just grabbing the latest snapshot?
> Perhaps some un-official release which has had more testing as a set?
> My last experience with installing Debian from scratch was not pleasant,
> as bugs in the install process can be particularly frustrating.
>   I will promise to keep a detailed log of any problems, and report to the
> list.
>   Also, what is the essential pre-install reading for an experienced Linux
> user who knows nothing of Debian?  What is special about Debian, other
> than the package management?

I recently installed 2-3 debian machines:

Got a recent debian CD set (2.2r2) and installed the very basic packages. After the installation I made sure the network is working. When the very basic installation is running I changed the etc/apt/sources.list and pointed to the aarnet mirror.

I also changed from potato to woody.

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade and the latest basic packages are installed.

Apt-getted some more packages so the system has everything necessary but nothing more.

To boost this way of installation if you have more than 1 machine is to have a look at apt-proxy which "mirrors" packages locally for your LAN. The workstations do not point to the mirror at aarnet but point to the apt-proxy of your LAN. So if you have more than n woody machines in your LAN you only download a specific version of a package ONCE instead of n times.

Have fun.

Sacha

Sacha                                   Schlegel

1/67 Upton Str, 6102 St. James, Perth, Australia
sacha at schlegel.li                www.schlegel.li
public key:            www.schlegel.li/sacha.gpg