[plug] Linux grrls break free

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Fri Apr 5 15:24:18 WST 2002

>From the SMH.

Linux grrls break free

By Adam Turner
April 2 2002
Next

A locker-room mentality inherent in many user groups and mailing lists
was the catalyst for an online sexual revolution - resulting in an Linux
user group targeted specifically for women.

LinuxChix was founded three years ago in the United States by Deb
Richardson, who handed over global coordination and hosting to Melbourne
programmer and writer Jenn Vesperman in August 2001. Linux is a free,
open-source operating system, meaning its use and development is not
restricted by copyright laws.

LinuxChix is not exclusively for women but is actively welcoming to
women rather than just passively neutral, says Vesperman.

"Deb started it partly because she was sick of the teenage boy,
locker-room mentality of a lot of Linux groups. She knew that it was
chasing her away from Linux groups, particularly online, and felt that
she couldn't possibly be the only one," says Vesperman.

"She also felt that, particularly for women who aren't inherently geeky,
there wasn't enough motivation to get past the locker-room mentality and
actually find the core of really good people that she knew was there."
rest at
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/03/29/1017206149200.html

So... is there need for a PLUG Grrls list?

(don't know about anyone else but I could do with being able to ask
"dumb" questions without feeling like "I'm gon'a get flamed for
this...")

--
bob
Something witty... and in Latin.