[plug] Linux grrls break free

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 5 16:34:49 WST 2002

At 03:24 PM 04/05/2002, bob wrote:
>Linux grrls break free
>
>[snip snip]
>rest at
>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/03/29/1017206149200.html

[jacqueline] We knew that this was coming up, just did not know when. We
have been spring cleaning the web site since the interview. We have had two
articles this week, the other one is at NewsForge:
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/01/1726256.shtml?tid=46
I have heard that the paper version has a picture of Jenn with her cat :)

[jacqueline] Recently, some LinuxChix have also featured on NewsForge -
Val Henson (speaking at OLS this year)
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/02/14/1425210&mode=thread&tid=1.1
Jenn Vesperman (currently speaking at RubiCon)
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/02/22/167216&mode=thread&tid=1.4
Telsa Gwynne (Gnome)
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/08/1517217&mode=thread&tid=0.6
Akkana Peck (Mozilla)
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/18/0126259&mode=thread&tid=0.4

>So... is there need for a PLUG Grrls list?

[jacqueline] LinuxChix.org has 8 lists (1 of which is grrls only) and 3
organisers lists, so I don't think so. I'm in Perth and maintain one of the
LinuxChix web pages and lists, and feel that all I "virtually" need is
already available :)

>(don't know about anyone else but I could do with being able to ask "dumb"
>questions without feeling like "I'm gon'a get flamed for this...")

[jacqueline] All the lists advocate that there are no "dumb" questions -
except perhaps the ones you never ask. Since joining the lists, I have had
the opportunity to participate in kernel hacking, a security course and
various programming courses. All run by volunteers.

[jacqueline] And to preempt the most FAQ - from the web site: "Are
LinuxChix lists really just for women? Nope - with the exception of the
grrls-only list. As long as people are generally polite and helpful, anyone
is welcome. I reserve the right to change this policy at any time, of
course. Please try to remember that these are lists primarily meant for
women. Act as if your mom/sister/daughter were subscribed, and everything
should be fine :)."

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)