[plug] Controlling the initial geometry of a program under X

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Apr 11 18:16:07 WST 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 05:45 pm, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a laptop on which I am running Debian GNU/Linux. However the
> screen is only capable of having 640 x 480 resolution.  The problem that I
> am having is that when emacs starts up, its window is bigger than my
> screen, such that I cannot access the edge of the window to size it.  What
> I would really like to do is to adjust the X settings somehow so that the
> window for emacs was a particular size/position that is roughly central on
> my screen. I've been searching google groups, but have not been able to
> figure this one out... is someone able to enlighten me?

Ummm... man emacs
/geometry

-geometry geometry
    Set the Emacs window's width, height,  and  position  as  specified.   The
    geometry  specification  is  in  the  standard X format; see X(1) for more
    information.  The width  and  height  are  specified  in  characters;  the
    default is 80 by 24.

Think about -font as well.

Cheers; Leon