[plug] Controlling the initial geometry of a program under X

David & Lisa Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Thu Apr 11 19:56:00 WST 2002

Hi all,

>Its probably not discussed on usenet much, because its all in the manuals.
>
>      -geometry geometry

thanks heaps; that's got it.

I now have a .Xresources file that contains:

    emacs.geometry:    50x50+0+0

which is a lot better. 8-)

Now I'm trying to resolve the fonts problem; the issue is that the font that
emacs is using is far too big for the little screen I've got. Even when
emacs is maximised, it is still wrapping at column 57, rather than at 80.  I
have entered the following line into my .Xresources:

emacs.font:    -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-100-100-100-c-70-iso8859-1

however this does not seem to have affected the size of the font used by
emacs at all.  I have tried a couple of other different fonts (as obtained
by running xlsfonts | less ) however regardless of what font I enter into
.Xresources, the font that emacs displays is the same.  Can someone indicate
what I've not done right?

Thanks heaps in advance

David Buddrige