[plug] Controlling the initial geometry of a program under X

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Thu Apr 11 20:07:31 WST 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 07:56:00PM +0800, David & Lisa Buddrige wrote:
[ ... ]
> Now I'm trying to resolve the fonts problem;
[ ... ]
> I have entered the following line into my .Xresources:
>
> emacs.font:    -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-100-100-100-c-70-iso8859-1
>
> however this does not seem to have affected the size of the font used by
> emacs at all.  I have tried a couple of other different fonts (as
> obtained by running xlsfonts | less ) however regardless of what font I
> enter into .Xresources, the font that emacs displays is the same.
> Can someone indicate what I've not done right?

First question - have you tried running emacs with the -font option on the
command line? eg.

$ emacs -font 6x10

If you try that and the font is correct (ie. small), it's probably just
that you haven't restarted X or reloaded the ~/.Xresources since you made
the change. Try:

$ xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

and then try running

$ emacs

again, and all should be well.

Hopefully. :)

> Thanks heaps in advance
> David Buddrige

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is...  If they do