[plug] Install errors

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Mon Apr 15 20:02:00 WST 2002

Hya,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, DJ Jackson wrote:

> Well not really install error, because it seems thaT LINUX INSTALLS
> sucessfully but when it trys to start I get the following message.
>
> INIT: SWITCHING to Runlevel 3
At the boot prompt (if it is a GUI hit control and x at the same time)
type "linux 1", this will take you to run level 1 and a bash prompt then
you can switch off some services to what is causing it to loop.

Check also your /var/log/messages and dmesg files for clues.

> INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
> starting lpd: no printer defined [ok]
> then goes to text login  but just keeps looping after this , tried
> signing on as root and user but just comes back to login screen.
>
> Machine is a P75 with 48mg and 2gb hd Xebec by Y-Micro.
>
> This occured with both 7.1 and 7.2.
I'm asuming you mean RedHat 7.1 and 7.2, if so and you only have 48MB
RAM I'm surprised it let you install without a warning of a base memory
of 64MB.

You may want to try going to RH 6.2 with all secrity patches applied (
just a suggestion).

> What am i missing or what should I be checking???
>

> DJ

Hope this helps...

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
            -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */