[plug] OT: "slow tcp/ip"?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 17 18:40:02 WST 2002

Hello All,
I am connecting to a big local isp via a generic modem over a normal phone
line from a Mandrake Single Network Firewall machine which is then
linked  to the other machines via a switch.   I find the connection drops
out and I seem to get packet loss quite often.
Having just given the Telstra adsl the flick when they wanted to put their
prices up recently this is doubly frustrating.

I have written to the isp's support and been told:
"... In regards to your connectivity, if you are experiencing slow
connections, it could be one of two things, either the modem speed is not
too fast, or the protocal tcp/ip on your machine is starting to slow down
and will eventually cause a dead connection. "

I've never heard of slow tcp/ip.  Can anyone point me towards some
information on it and how to fix it?

Any pointers greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Daniel.