[plug] Problems getting SVCD movie to play

Adam Davin badger at arach.net.au
Thu Apr 18 20:10:11 WST 2002

I can't help with playing svcd's under linux unfortunately, but I have just
been playing around with creating vcds (part under windows, part under
linux).

I originally was going to use the SVCD format however I found that whilst I
could play the mpg files on the disk manually, I was unable to get any of my
DVD players or drives to recognise the disk as a SVCD disk.

I then downloaded an example image file from www.vcdimager.org and burnt
this to disk with the same result.

I noticed that reading through the XML structure files for use with
vcdxbuild (part of the vcdimager suite) there is an option that allows you
to rename the mpeg directory to the vcd standard mpegav (?)

I havn't tried this yet but I was curious as to whether any one else had any
experience with svcds as mine have all been bad and I have given them up and
decided to go with the vcd2 standard.

Thoughts appreciated

Adam Davin.