[plug] Schools [taken] out today?

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 19 10:21:50 WST 2002

Thanks for the article Leon. I will distribute the Salon article together
with the following Slashdot story to the education lists I'm on. Microsoft
has published a page which implies that replacing a copy of Windows on a
computer donated to a school is illegal.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/04/18/1623240.shtml?tid=109 and the
Microsoft page at http://www.microsoft.com/education/?id=DonatedComputers

Their statement that "It is a legal requirement that pre-installed
operating systems remain with a machine for the life of the machine" is not
part of any law of which I'm aware, except that I am not super familiar
with the MS EULA.

Also, please do keep your comments coming about OpenOffice.org. The current
641D is the precursor to what we hope will be Release 1.0. Feedback from
prospective and current users is important to us. At the moment the
OpenOffice.org community is in a flurry of activity with Release 1.0 and
the preparations for OpenOffice.org at the Linuxworld Expo San Francisco in
August.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)