[plug] Unable to eject cdrom - /dev/cdrom - device busy problem

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Sat Apr 20 04:57:25 WST 2002

I have been having a problem, since upgrading to Redhat 7.2 where I get
"device busy" messages when I try to unmount or eject my cdrom. I could not
figure out who or what was holding the device busy.
I used "fuser" and it says the kernel is the only process holding the cdrom.
the cdrom will not eject or unmount either as my regular user or as root.
It has been happening alot recently, and my only option has been to restart
the machine.  If I wanted that I would just run Windows.

I don't remember seeing this problem in my previous version RH6.2.

I did have one time when I had forgotten I had done an nfs mount of the
cdrom from another machine, and stopping nfs allowed me to eject the cdrom,
but that has not been the case lately.

Has anyone else seen this.

Phil