[plug] Unable to eject cdrom - /dev/cdrom - device busy problem

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Sat Apr 20 12:54:09 WST 2002

Hya,

Is the "cdrom" scsi or ide?
Have you tried "lsmod" to what modules are loaded, then tring to "rmmod -r modname"?
Check your "logs" for messages.

The resent prob I had was the cdrw was tring to reset the scsi bus and
failed, just because it can't (stupid cdrw), over a period of time it
got worse and the only way to fix the cdrw was a cold reboot.

If I tried to "umount" the drive it would go through this process of "I
can't do what you ask, but I'll try anyway.
Resetting bus...oh no I can't...oh well I'll just keep tring and
fill the mem and crash the system." Linux knew what to do but the
hardware didn't.

I litterally watched the swap/mem fill and the hung rock solid.

In the end the cdrw was dying, the logic board in the drive was
failing.

If you problem is ever increasing then the cdrom maybe on it's way out.

Oh check for any "dead" processes, "D or Z" when using "ps axf"

Hope this helps.

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
            -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */