[plug] webcahe

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 22 07:38:12 WST 2002

I run bind and squid on a (dell 8000) laptop that is mostly used as a
desktop.  I had forgotten about bind in my previous reply, but yes,
subjectively at least, both make a considerable difference in speed an
responsiveness on a single machine.  I also use a redirector on squid to
get rid of adds.  This makes a *major* difference across a modem as each
add is often about 30k and rarely gets cached by any proxy as they are
always changing.

I set bind to get its queries from the upsream dns server you would
normally specify in /etc/resolv.conf, which I just set to localhost (I
think as I dont have it in front of me to check!)

BillK