[plug] webcahe

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 22 08:56:57 WST 2002

ppp and Mandrake create some wierd interactions.  After tracking the
dynamic nameservers change through the scripts, I gave up and just copy
a template /etc/resolv.conf (use /etc/ppp/ip-up.local for this, dynamic
dns updates etc as well) containing a couple of search domains and
localhost over the one Mandrake/kppp insists on creating.  I run a full
bind at home and a cacheing one on the laptop (bind 9). Modify the
options section similar to below.  The forwarders is what you want -
iinet (& Murdoch!) rarely change their DNS machines so manually fixing
if they change is not a problem.

Squid has a simple redirector perl script somewhere in their documents,
but you need to do some regex's for what you want to block.  A lot of
work these days & not worth the effort.  Same with squirm, which
otherwise worked well.  Gave up on squidguard as I could never get it to
work on URL's, just IP's (possibly a bind/dns prob?).  Squidguard would
be great as it does a lot more than just addvertisements, if only I
could get it to work!  My current favourite is from
"http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/scripts/squid_redirect" which seems to work
well with the adds I object to the most!

BillK

/etc/resov.conf (template):
__________________________________
search murdoch.edu.au iinet.net.au

nameserver 127.0.0.1
__________________________________
/etc/named.conf
# do something like this to the options section
options {
	pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
	directory "/var/named";
	notify no;
	forward only;
	forwarders{
		134.115.4.33;  #spider.murdoch.edu.au
		134.115.8.33;  #lobster.murdoch.edu.au
		203.0.178.191; #iinet.net.au
	};
	/*
	 * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	 * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
	 * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
	 * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
	 * port by default.
	 */
	// query-source address * port 53;
};