[plug] New local open source mailing list

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Wed Apr 24 14:32:01 WST 2002

A few PLUGgers have formed a mailing list for:

Discussion of the promotion of open-source software in Australia.

For the sake of signal-to-noise, we're not publicising the list sign-up
procedure, and for similar reasons, but also for strategic ones, the
list is a non-public one. However, that doesn't mean it's a closed shop.
If anyone would like to join it, please contact me:

colin at twobluedots.com.au

ON topic for this new list are, e.g. (all inter-related):
- Lobbying of government to adopt open-source software
- Building the business case for open-source software
- Developing business models which make a profit while increasing the
  market penetration of open-source software (e.g forming consortia of
  small companies to handle large projects)
- Building a library of documents (white-paper type) outlining
  advantages of open-source software for end users, and reasons to
  switch from other software
- Building a library of documents outlining specific solutions to
  specific end-user problems (e.g. setting up a print, Net access and
  Mail server, migrating an MS-based desktop to a Linux-based one).
  Some overlap with HOWTOs there.
- Finding and contributing web resources and collaborating with
  like-minded groups

OFF topic are, e.g.:
- Whingeing and moaning
- Unfocused cathartic MS-bashing

In other words, high signal-to-noise ratio required. We're partly
building on steps some have already taken, partly working out how to
move forward in a constructive and productive fashion.

Colin