[plug] New Member

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Tue Apr 30 00:18:38 WST 2002

Hi Everybody

I have just joined your e-mail list.  I am a mature age, external student of
Murdoch University, near the end of a Grad Dip Computer Studies - external
because I live about 550 km from Perth, in Ravensthorpe .... not Ravenswood
which is near Rockingham, but Ravensthorpe, 50 km form the South Coast of
WA, between Albany and Esperance.

I am currently studying a unit called "Computer Systems and Network
Management" which is a fancy way of saying "Linux"  (We externals have to
set up our own computer because we cannot attend the labs on campus, so
while the course is really about Unix, Linux is what we use for financial
reasons).

Apart from wanting to do well in this Linux unit, I have decided that when
the course is over I would like to stay with Linux and also look for work in
that area .... and that is why I have joined your e-mail list and wish to
join the PLUG as an ongoing financial member.

It is reasonably hard work, learning Linux from zero to a reasonable level
of competency, as Universities demand, in one semester (about 15 weeks), so
if anyone is prepared to answer the occasional question, I would be much
obliged.  We are assigned Tutors, but anything even slightly off the course
material, and they are not interested - like why my CD-ROM won't mount under
Red Hat 7.2 when it worked fine under 7.1?

Anyway ,,, some of your e-mails are filtering through already and I look
forward to participating in this forum.

Kind regards,

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers