[plug] pine and pop

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Aug 1 12:35:34 WST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:33:59 +0800 Simon Scott <sscott at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> HI all
>
> Im setting up a quick account for my dad on my home box
>
> I want him to use pine (easy as) but how do I set it up to retrieve mail from
> a pop account?
>
> I thought about using fetchmail but it wants sendmail or equivalent which is
> overkill and difficult for him to setup for extra pop accounts.
>
> Arent there any pop modules for pine?

Hi Simon

Have a look at Sylpheed. It has M$ LookOut look and feel and built-in in
fetchmail code and a GUI that makes extra pop account setup a breeze. The only
drawback presently is that the mail is stored in MH mail files instead of mbox.
You can import/export from/to mbox mail if he wants to change mail clients.

The mbox is being added at the mo' and other features too so it'll be mbox
"standard" eventually which will be a Good Thing.

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/