[plug] restoring from tape

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 1 13:07:52 WST 2002

> To list the contents of the tape to stdout (may want to filter it!):
>  tar -ztvf /dev/st0

Tip: if you know its in a given subdirectory or whatever, you can
tar tvzf /dev/st0 mysubdir/
and it'll only list the contents of that subdirectory.

> To then restore a file to the pwd once you know its name/path in the tape
> archive:
>  tar -xzvf /dev/st0 path/to/file

Though you may well need to drop the z from the arguments if you don't
compress the data going onto the tape. I use DDS2 and haven't found it
to make a difference whether or not I do compresison in software, since
the drive does some pretty powerful hardware-driven data compression
anyway - and not compressing saves on CPU time and leads to a faster
backup, at least in my case.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)