[plug] pine and pop

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Aug 1 13:14:37 WST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

> > I thought about using fetchmail but it wants sendmail or equivalent which is
> > overkill and difficult for him to setup for extra pop accounts.
> You'll need an MTA anyway, since many mailers on UNIX (esp console-based
> ones) don't support SMTP delivery to remote hosts. I seem to remember
> that pine is one of them - I know mutt is, anyway.

Pine does,
~$ grep -1 smtp-server .pinerc
# List of SMTP servers for sending mail. If blank: Unix Pine uses sendmail.
smtp-server=mail.cantech.net.au

Anyway it's all a moot point:
http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/config.html#9.3
------------
9.3 Can Pine be used with a POP server?

Versions of PC-Pine prior to 4.00 cannot be used with a POP (Post Office
Protocol) server. With Unix Pine, and with PC-Pine 4.00 and after, you can
access a POP server in "online" mode. That is, Pine will start a POP3 session
and keep it open until the mailbox is closed. Due to the nature of the POP3
protocol, Pine will not see any new mail which arrives during the POP3
session. Thus new mail only arrives upon starting a session.

To access the message INBOX on a POP3 server, use the folder definition
syntax:

{pop3server/pop3}INBOX

or, especially useful if your POP account user-id is different from the one in
your Pine configuration:

{pop3server/pop3/user=popuserid}INBOX

So yeah pine can use pop3

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!