[plug] [OT] [link] Exotic Transportation

Hook hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 1 16:19:06 WST 2002

Leon Brooks wrote:
> I'd want to make the wings a little bit longer, say, enough for it to
clear a
> semitrailer comfortably at periterrain:
>
>     http://home.iprimus.com.au/vortexau/Page2.htm
>
> Bear in mind that the beast described here actually goes, and is used for
real
> applications. This is not theoretical! And if you ran it across water or
the
> Nullarbor, there'd be more of of surviving a catastrophic failure than
with
> an airliner.

There are a number of derivitvies of the Caspian Sea Monster about, mainly
in the US (did you see the Foxtel doco?). They look *very* impressive, and
very safe too. I'm not convinced about their performance over dry land -
you'd need something pretty smooth like sandy desert with few rocky outcrops
or you'd risk tearing the bottom out.

The Hooker