[plug] The Debian Experience

proXy davyd at iprimus.com.au
Fri Aug 2 13:22:55 WST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 18:24, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> >  * The graphics etc useage of the installer is very light; I could
> >    imagine running it on a 386/33 and still having hair when I
> >    finished installing.

> Sick of graphics installs that crash before installing the boot loader
> but after installing the packages. what a waste of an hour!

I like graphical installers, because they are usually cool and clean,
and therefore a lot easier to deal with (especially when tired, drunk,
hungover, or doing something else). The debian installer is still
feature lacking and irritating to use. Of course, having a tui installer
is also important.

> >  * It prefers PostgreSQL to MySQL. (-: Cue DB religious wars :-)

> I don't care my self, still don't use them. What R they for?

You asking what an SQL database is for? Short answer, databasing.

> >  * While said questions could be tres confusing for a newbie, the
> >    configuration steps ask many intelligent questions which give an
> >    experienced user a fairly good depth of control.

> I saw it installed once and installed woody myself. I only started on
> RH and Mandrake in feb, DOS skills help though. No X used for a while,
> except gnomecd which i was trying to use to rip.

Debian can give you a hard time, apt however is one of the nicest
utilities around, and really should be intergrated into more distros.

> Debian ROCKS!

I wouldn't go around saying this. Although apt is cool, and debian
offers some nice features, it is STILL a homophilliac, and as a result I
am never going to actually like it, only use it.

--proXy

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/
linux.conf.au Perth 2003 <http://www.linux.conf.au>

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA