[plug] Fwd: [CS-FSLUG] A milestone was reached today!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Aug 6 11:36:54 WST 2002

Encouraging piece of personal testimony:

Subject: [CS-FSLUG] A milestone was reached today!
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:17:26 -0500
From: Jerry Kreps <CHOMP>

At work a year ago my zeal for Linux was the brunt of many jokes by the
MSCE's in our IT department.  Now it is a different story.   Our state gov
is over $300M behind in revenues and things are really tight.  And,
Microsoft has decided to force users into XP and beyond, including double to
triple license fees and intrusive spyware.  Over the last year attititudes
began changing....

Today, for the first time and with the IT supervisor setting next to me, I
was able to hook the MDK 8.2 side of my dual boot workstation into our
Novell network!!!   Yeaaaaa!!!!!!

I used ipxutils, ncpfs and a tclx gui login interface called "Now-well"  (It
worked better than the other two contenders: GQ and nubell.   The connection
was very quick, and surfing the network was very quick too.  While he was
watching I opened a Microsoft xls file with OpenOffice.   He was very
interested.  Tomorrow I am going to play with WINE and see what it will run
on our network.  I'm also going to upgrade KDE to 3.0.2 to spruce it up a
bit.

Fun, fun, fun!!! 8-)
--
JLK