[plug] Embarassing debian question

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Aug 6 12:40:52 WST 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:48:03AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> I would really rather take this box back to woody.
> I can just point apt at woody instead of sid BUT, I doubt me that apt will
> like downgrading many of the packages back to the woody versions.

iHave a look at apt's package pinning (man apt_preferences).  If you set
woody's priority to 1000 or more, it should allow downgrades from the
current sid packages.

Something like this should work nicely (I think):

Package: *
Pin: release a=woody
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: -1

Put it in /etc/apt/preferences and do an "apt-get -s update" to
double-check that it will do what you want.  I don't think it will
uninstall packages that are installed, but not in woody, so you'll need
to do a quick pass for those that are left behind (and possibly stopping
some packages from downgrading(?)).

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A jury consists of twelve persons
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | chosen to decide who has the better